Events for International Women’s Day and Women’s History Month, Monday, March 8, 2010
International Women’s Day is only six days away! What will you be doing to celebrate the progress and opportunity for women worldwide?
For starters*, I suggest you check out:
- Feminist Peace Network’s listings of IWD events.
- Veronica at Viva La Feminista has a great list of events that are happening in the Chicago area throughout March.
- The American Association for University Women (AAUW) Dialog blog also has great listings for events going on throughout the month.
- For those of you in the U.S. and Canada, there is a special live event of a film based on stories in the book Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn this Thursday, March 4 at participating theaters. NCM Fathom and CARE are partnering for this event with support from Delta Air Lines and Meredith Corporation. Click here for more information about this event.
- For those who are not in the U.S. and Canada…not to fret! I will be going to this event (with my mother) and will report back to you soon afterwards.
- This month is a PERFECT month for giving back to feminist organizations. Whether it’s through volunteering (here or here) or donating money, whatever donation you decide to give, whether large or small, will make a difference.
- Feminist Review (a wonderful and unique community-driven blog that exclusively reviews books, music, and more and whose mission is to “write reviews from feminist perspectives to explore the world through an anti-oppression lens”) is asking readers to make contributions through their “I ♥ FR” fundraising campaign. Click here for more info and support Feminist Review!
- If I’m missing any important listings that are not listed here, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I’ll be sure to add them!
Additionally, if you’re a blogger, GAB is inviting all bloggers to participate in an inaugural event called “Blog for International Women’s Day.” We’re asking bloggers to answer the following questions on their blogs on Monday, March 8:
- What does “equal rights for all” mean to you?
- Describe a particular organization, person, or moment in history that helped to mobilize a meaningful change in equal rights for all.
At GAB, we’ll be live-blogging the event, including what some of your answers are to those questions above. For more information and to sign-up your blog, go to the Blog for IWD’s main website, http://genderacrossborders.com/blogforiwd/.
*There is an “unofficial” IWD website, however, we do not want to disclose the website address because we believe it’s a total crock (yes, we did use that word). It’s completely run by Thomson Reuters and is clearly designed to drive traffic to Reuters’ unrelated content. For more information about boycotting the Reuters IWD website, see this post from the Feminist Peace Network.